Friday, April 27, 2012

interior


feels welcoming.  you want to pull up a chair,
but the floor is what you get because these chairs are art.  note the cloth layered one that looks like a donut.  my chair at home looks like that when we do laundry.
this red one is simple and beautiful, but perhaps not very comfortable?  no data.
on the right, the ghostly white chair is just layers of fabric over some structure.  like the colored one above.  also note the spider fixture.  
lighting is also art.
the left one with the hook on top reaches back to the old hanging lantern days.  historical references.
slab of plastic with a video camera looking light, 
and neon.  
maria, at jamie says dream might know more about this.  she works at a museum in sweden, i believe.  what makes furniture and lighting art?  
found at the chicago art institute.
joy to you!

3 comments:

  1. I love all these pieces. Your description of the cloth covered chairs made me smile. You didn't know you were creating art at home, did you?
    The California Design exhibit at the LACMA also had many chairs and lighting as part of the show. It is apparently art in form and function...Taking something we use every day and giving it a new life/interpretation. I find it all really interesting.
    Happy weekend, Noreen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Noreen,

    I work with information, webb and marketing at the museum, so I'm not an expert on art. But interested. I guess the conclusion after reading/hearing a lot of definitions of art is that it becomes art if you decide to call it art. The furniture here are put on display and are not used, so they become art. I think the dividing line between interior and art is becoming more and more difficult to point out, and I quite like that :-)

    I think I would have really enjoyed to visit this exhibition. I went to see some paintings, photos and scultptures yesterday, and I found a quote there that I thought was quite funny (translated form Swedish by me): The difference between art and handicraft is that you need to be an expert to evaluate the handicraft. (Robert Storm Petersen)

    Hope you have had a beautiful weekend! I'm off to Ikea now, and I have two more free days after today, so I'm happy :-)

    Maria

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...