Friday, April 20, 2012

chicago architecture boat tour

 the chicago river rambles through old buildings, 
 and modern skyscrapers.
 it goes under lots of bridges.
 this building is designed to reflect its neighbors.

 geometric reflections.


there was a building designed so that no one had a "corner office", and another 1920s structure built to resemble a bottle of champagne.  
the biggest topic was the 1871 fire in chicago, when its buildings were wood and so lost.  this sad event enabled city planners to rethink and build anew.  the 1909 chicago plan was a guide to development, and led to navy pier and its amusement park, the "magnificent mile" shopping district, and the lakefront parks.
urban beauty.  

7 comments:

  1. FAB, FAB, FAB Noreen! My fav is "this building is designed to reflect its neighbors!! Margie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only been to Chicago once, but loved the city. I hope to go back soon. There are some great restaurants I want to try. Teri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went on one of these boat tours a few years ago and loved it! Your pictures from it are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would LOVE to do a boat tour like that. We try to hit boat tours in every city we're in (my fave so far has been on the Danube in Budapest) but this one looks to be the most fascinating, I have to say! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There must be a lot of window cleaning jobs in Chicago :-) I've only been to the airport... The city where I live seems so small when I see your images of the skyscrapes and large brigdes. Seems like it was a wonderful sunny day!

    I promise I will post a happy qoute soon, by the way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures, Chicago one of my fav USa citys. I use to go very often to bad not any more. And that tour was my favorite
    Regards Val

    ReplyDelete
  7. Know nothing about Chicago - except Oprah's show used to come from there - fantastic tour as usual.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...